Holiday Gifts to Keep the Democracy Strong
By Laura Foote Clark
Donald Trump is slated to take office on January 20th. Yeah. I know. We’ve collected a list of gifts to both enrich the lives of the receiver and keep our institutions strong. These gifts will hopefully keep you #FiredUpReadyToGo!
1. News Subscriptions
Donald Trump lies. He lies so egregiously and consistently, he has managed to create his own alternate reality. The only thing that can stand against that is well-funded, quality, reality-based news. Buy your loved ones a little slice of reality.
Small local newspapers are in dire straights. We need to take back local state houses, and local newspapers are your first step to understanding your community.
2. Say it Loud, Say it Proud – With SWAG!
Support these organizations and wear it on your sleeve! Your friends and family will love these beautiful expressions of everything that makes this country great.
- National Public Radio Swag
- American Civil Liberties Union swag
- Human Rights Campaign Swag
- Planned Parenthood Swag
- Organizing For America Swag
- Define American
- Democracy Now! Swag
3. Music, Documentaries, & Live Events
Ok, yeah you probably don’t love them enough to buy them tickets to Hamilton, but you might get them…
And a few more that are on our list:
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen
- Season of the Witch by David Talbot
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis by Robert D. Putnam
- March Graphic Novel by John Lewis
Or get them a gift card to a local bookstore!
5. Art & Other Cool Objects
And support local artists and craft shows!
6. Local Food!
Or get a gift card to a local restaurant owned by folks from an at-risk population!
7. And for the Kids!
Classics like Yertle the Turtle
And chat with your local bookstores!
And last, but not least…
8. Donation in Their Name!