- This event has passed.
San Francisco Politics 101
June 19 @ 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
How are progressives different from moderates in San Francisco? Why is our city council called the Board of Supervisors and what powers do they have? What can I do to resist Trump’s agenda?
The United Democratic Club is proud to present Politics 101! During this free event, we’ll answer all of the above questions and so much more. Our presenters are intimately involved at the local, state, and federal levels of government and are ready to discuss government issues from first-hand experience.
*** FREE EVENT – RSVP REQUIRED: http://bit.ly/Politics101-June19 ***
Joel Engardio, Columnist for the SF Examiner
Nicole Nabulsi, Staffer for Representative Mike Honda (CA-17)
Alex Wong, Legislative Assistant for State Senator Jerry Hill
Armand Domalewski, Education Activist
Topics we’ll cover:
• A brief history of San Francisco, its politics and East/West divide.
• The difference between “moderate” and “progressive” Democrats (discover your shade of blue).
• How local government works: What is a supervisor and how do they relate to the mayor? Why are there 11 supervisor districts and which one is yours?
• How does state government work: What’s the difference between an assemblymember and a senator?
• Who represents us in Washington, D.C. and how can we be heard?
• What does the future hold for local politics and issues like housing and transportation?
• How can we fight Trump?
Bring your questions!
• Doors open at 6:30 PM.
• The program starts at 6:50 PM sharp.
• Free event but RSVP required: http://bit.ly/Politics101-June19
• The site does not have ADA bathrooms. We apologize for the inconvenience.